What is our theme? Weather
What is the lesson
The lesson is to teach them about clouds and how they move in the sky by using balloons.
CD67 The younger toddler begins to use pretend and dramatic play to act out familiar scenes
AL13 The older toddler expands his exploration of the environment
PW50. The older toddler engages in a variety of physical activities.
Learning about clouds, and developing balancing skills
Educational son about clouds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRFpYU5lbDA
Videos of clouds moving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ12kRS1Dao
- Balloons (All white if possible, if not, any balloons will do)
- Go outside on a day where clouds are easy to spot. Point to them and talk about them with your child
- Once inside, Blow up balloons
- Demonstrate you kicking the balloons
- Allow your child to kick the balloons for as long as they are engaged
Activity Wrap Up:
“When you kicked the balloons, what happened? Did they move?” “When we watch the clouds in the sky, did they move?”
How do I know what my child is learning?
When outside, ask your child to point to the clouds
How can you extend this activity? (Modifications)
If playing with balloons isn’t a logical option for your family, your child will still benefit from a nature walk. Talk to them about the shapes that you see in the clouds, and how they move when the wind blows.
Helpful Hints: (Pitfalls & Solutions)
If there aren’t a lot of clouds in the sky, there are lots of time lapse videos of clouds on youtube that will suffice.