Sink or float
What is the lesson (overall purpose)?
Students will predict and explore whether certain objects sink or float.
APL 2: The child will demonstrate eagerness and curiosity as a learner.
APL3: The child will be able to maintain focus and attention, and persist in efforts to complete a task.
PreK-PS1-2 (MA). Investigate natural and human-made objects to describe, compare, sort and classify objects based on observable physical characteristics, uses, and whether something is manufactured or occurs in nature.
Students will have a better understanding of what objects may sink or float.
Songs, Books & Videos (Motivational Techniques)
“Sink or Float?” Youtube Science:
- Device to watch youtube link
- Large tub, bucket or large/wide pot
- Items for child to experiment with
-Start by watching the youtube link to introduce your child to sinking items and floating items. This video talks more into the details of WHY this happens.
- Tell your child they will conduct their own experiment of sink or float.
- Either collect items to use together or have the items ready to go for your child.
- Predict whether an item will sink or float BEFORE placing it into water.
Activity Wrap Up:
- Review what items sank or what items float. Review how some items have a higher density than others. This is why they sink or float.
How do I know what my child is learning? (Assessment)
-Is my child engaged with this activity?
- Does my child understand what items may sink or float?
How can you extend this activity? (Modifications)
- Keep experimenting with new objects!
Helpful Hints: (Pitfalls & Solutions)
- Child may not fully grasp the understanding that some items have a higher density, that’s okay. What is more important to me at this point is that your child is interested in participating in the activity.